Are you concerned you are addicted to a substance and need to enter a drug treatment program? The use and abuse of any drug is serious and drug dependence isn’t something which goes away on its own. Being able to recognize the signs of addiction in yourself can help you to make the choice to enter a drug treatment program and to get the help you need.
If you exhibit any of the following signs or symptoms, it is imperative that you seek out treatment. The sooner you begin the recovery process, the sooner you can take back control of your life.
- It requires more of a substance to get the same effects you were experiencing before.
- No matter how much you attempt to limit yourself, you always use more. You may “let yourself” use a small amount. But the drive to use more kicks in and you struggle to stop with what you told yourself would be fine.
- People begin to notice you are acting strange and are possibly using drugs.
- Physically, you no longer look like the same person. This includes bloodshot eyes, shaking or other noticeable changes in your body.
- Sleeping habits are changing and you sleep more or less than you used to. You may also ear more or less than people remember you did before.
- The substance you’re using is already impacting your life. This includes trouble with the law, problems with your family or while you are at work.
- There is no longer the love or passion you had for other things in life.
- When a drug begins to wear off, you become sick or depressed. You might break into a sweat, shake or even experience fever or seizures.
- You begin to lie and steal just to obtain the money you need to purchase the drugs.
- You find it impossible to stop using the drug, no matter how much you want to.
- You no longer can do things which were part of your daily routine.
- You reach a point where you are endangering the lives of others while using the drug. Such as operating heavy machinery or driving while under the influence.
- Your focus isn’t on anything but the drugs. No matter how much you try to think about something else, you find you need to get more until you take it. This provides you with some relief, until the effects begin to wear off and you become angry with yourself.